To avoid any unconscious bias in grading assignments, you can turn on Anonymous Marking, which replaces student names with "Anonymous User" + a number.
- Anonymous marking can be enabled or disabled when creating a new assignment submission folder.
- Anonymous marking can be enabled on an assignment submission folder with submissions, but cannot be disabled once submissions have been made.
- Courses that use Turnitin can only enable anonymous marking for assignment submission folders before any assignment submissions are made.
Turning On Anonymous Marking
If you need to create an assignment, see Create Assignments.
- In the Assignments list, click the assignment to edit, and then click the Edit Folder button.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the properties tab and check the box in front of "Hide student names during assessment."
- Click the Save and Close button.
Evaluating Assignments with Anonymous Marking turned on
Grading the assignment submissions remains the same. See Evaluate Assignment Submissions to learn more.
- In the Assignment list, there is an icon that displays when Anonymous Marking is active.
- Click the assignment.
- Each user is listed with an Anonymous User number instead of their name.
- Click the Anonymous User number to begin grading.