Use the Formula grading system when you want to calculate final grades using a custom formula that allows for specific conditions. The Formula grading system is based on the points system, but allows you to set conditions around grade items to determine the final grade. For example, you could require that users receive at least 50% on their midterm and final exams to pass a course.
- Access the course in D2L where you would like to set up the Formula grading system.
- Click on Grades on the navbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click the Calculation Options tab.
- Select the Formula radio button
- Click Save. You will receive two confirmation requests: 1) You are about to save changes. Are you sure you want to continue? and 2) Are you sure you want to change the Grading System for the org unit? Click Yes both times.
- Click Close. (This should bring you back to the Manage Grades page. If not, click Grades > Manage Grades.)
- On the Manage Grades page, click the Final Calculated Grade option.
- Enter a value for the Maximum Points field (normally 100).
- Click the Edit Using the Formula Editor link to enter a formula.
- Select a Function from the dropdown menu and click Start.
- Functions include:
MAX - calculates the maximum of a series of values
MIN - calculates the minimum
SUM - adds a series of values
AVG - calculates the average
IF - Boolean operator
NOT - Boolean operator
- Functions include:
- From the dropdown list, choose a Grade Item to include in your formula and select which associated value you'd like to use:
- Points Received
- Max Points
- Percent - Points Received divided by Max Points
- Click the Next Term button to include additional grade items. A comma will be inserted to separate items.
- Click End to finish the formula.
- Optional, but recommended: Click Validate. You will receive an error message if the formula is invalid.
- Optional: Click Preview to check how your formula will calculate grades for the first ten students in your course. Click Close when done previewing.
- Click Insert to insert the formula into the grade item and close the formula editor box.
- Click Save and Close.