A weighted grading system is one where grade categories and items are assigned a weight as a percentage of the final grade. In the video below, we show how to create a weighted gradebook and make sure that it calculates correctly.
Here are some points to remember about a weighted grading system:
- Weighted gradebooks require that all category weights add up to 100%.
- All item weights within a category also must add up to 100%.
- In a weighted grade book, the Maximum Points field does not affect the final calculated grade.
Step 1: Use the Grades Setup Wizard
If a gradebook has not already been set up or imported for your course, you should see the Grades Setup Wizard displayed when you enter the Grades tool. If a different area of the Grades tool displays by default, click the Setup Wizard tab to open it.
TIP: Most of the options in the Grades Setup Wizard have a Get help icon that helps explain what they are.
To get started, click the Start button at the bottom of the screen and follow these directions. Select the button next to Weighted and click the Continue button.
Step 2: Create Grade Categories
- From the Manage Grades tab, click the New button, then select Category.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the category.
- (Optional) In the Short Name field, enter a short name that displays in the gradebook.
- (Optional) Click the Show Description title and enter a description for the category.
- In the Weight field, enter the percentage (%) the category contributes to the final grade.
- In the Distribution area, select the distribution method.
- Click the Save and New button at the bottom of the screen and repeat steps 2 through 5 until all your categories have been created.
- Finally, click the Save and Close button at the bottom of the screen.