Course builder's best use is before you have added content. By designing it in advance you will have the greatest chance of a cohesive and complete course. You can quickly add actual content to the placeholders as you proceed.
Build your course structure by adding modules and placeholders to the course tree. Modules and placeholders are valuable during the initial stages of course planning, helping you plan your course before you create its content.
For example, if you haven't determined what your midterms and tests will be, you can drag quiz placeholders from the toolbox into the course tree to plan where you might want to add them.
You can add notes to module and placeholder descriptions about course content you intend to develop and learning objectives you want your students to achieve.
You can also choose to add real content as you build your course by creating and adding objects to the course tree.
- Go to the Course Management menu in the navbar, and then select Course Builder.
- Add a module by dragging the Create a Module icon from the left side of the Course Builder window and drop it on the name of your class at the top. You must have at least one module to add any content.
- When you drag a placeholder, the module you drop it in turns orange.
- To add a Link placeholder, drag this icon to the module.
- To add a File placeholder, drag this icon to the module.
- To add a Discussion placeholder, drag this icon to the module.
- To add an Assignment placeholder, drag this icon to the module.
- To add a Quiz placeholder, drag this icon to the module.
- The name of the placeholder can be descriptive so that you can easily add the right document later. All the placeholder information will disappear once you drop in the permanent content item.
- You can tell placeholders from permanent content items by the dashed line around the placeholders.
- When you select a placeholder, you can see any Instructions and Notes you have added to the right.NOTE: Placeholders do not appear on the Content page so students will not see your behind the scenes work.
- The icons to create new content in a placeholder are like the placeholders, but in color.
- You can also Browse Tools to add existing content to a placeholder.
- For more information on Course Builder contact your on-campus Instructional Designer or Instructional Technologist.