If you or a student tries to access email and receives a message stating you must complete quizzes for alerts to be enabled, then the optional setting "Disable Email, Instant Messages, and alerts" has been enabled in at least one of your quizzes.
This setting allows the instructor to disable access to collaboration tools while a student is taking the quiz. If the setting is enabled for a quiz, any student who has that quiz in progress will be unable to access Email, Instant Messages, or Alerts.
NOTE: This setting is enabled by default.
If you wish to keep the setting enabled, students will get a notice that they have to complete the quiz before alerts can be enabled. You can tell them to do the following:
- Click on the name of the quiz that appears in the message.
- Click the Continue Quiz button to resume the quiz.
- Click the Submit Quiz button.
The student will need to repeat this process for each quiz in progress.
Alternatively, the faculty member can impersonate the user and submit the exam.
- Click on Course Activities > Quizzes.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the quiz, then select Grade.
- Change the “Restrict to” area to “Users with attempts in progress” and click the magnifying glass above that option.
- Click on the silhouette icon to the right of an attempt to impersonate the student.
- Confirm you are entering as the student.
- Click on the Submit Quiz button.
If you wish to change the setting to stop blocking Email and Instant Messages:
- Go to Course Activities > Quizzes.
- Click on the quiz that you want to edit.
- On the Properties tab, scroll down to "Optional Advanced Properties." Deselect “Disable Email, Instant Messages, and alerts.”
- Save your changes.NOTE: This will not affect any students who already have that quiz in progress. Those students will still need to complete the quiz before they can access their email again. Any students who access the quiz AFTER this change has been made will not lose access to their email.
You may also receive this message when you try to access your email. You will receive this message if you have either:
- started a quiz while viewing as a student, or
- started previewing a quiz and left it without exiting the preview or submitting the quiz.
You can regain access to your email by following the steps listed above.