Discussion topics are available for students to post threads and reply to one another. All discussion topics must be located in a discussion forum.
To Create a Discussion Topic:
- Click on Collaboration on the navbar and choose Discussions.
- Click on the New button and choose New Topic.
- Choose a forum to put the topic in. (See Create a Discussion Forum.)
- Select the type of discussion topic.
- Open Topic: all students can access the topic and view the same posts.
- Group or Section Topic: all students can access the topic, but can only see posts from their own group.
- Group or Section Category: Select the group category that you would like to separate posts by if you have chosen a Group or Section Topic
- Give the topic a title, and a description. The description will serve as the instructions for the students on the prompt for the discussion and how to participate.
- Choose which options you'd like to implement.
- Allowing anonymous posts means that you will not know who posted any post marked as anonymous. You will not be able to grade these posts.
- Requiring a moderator to approve all posts means that no post will be posted to any thread until you have read and approved it.
- Requiring students to post a thread before they can read and reply to other threads in a topic means that they cannot read others' posts before they compose their own.
- Choose the rating system you want, if any, under "Rate Posts." This will allow students to rate individual posts in the topic.
See Apply Discussion Forum and Topic Restrictions for information about how to make your topic visible and unlocked for students.
To Add the Discussion Topic to Your Content
- Navigate to the module where you want to add your discussion.
- Click the Add Existing Activities button then choose Discussions.
- Choose the forum the topic is associated with.
- Choose the topic you want to add.
- After making your selection, the topic will appear in your module.