Discussion topics are available for students to post threads and reply to one another. All discussion topics must be located in a discussion forum.
To Create a Discussion Topic:
- Click on Collaboration on the navbar and choose Discussions.
- Click on the New button and choose New Topic.
- Choose a forum to put the topic in. (See Create a Discussion Forum.)
- Give the topic a title, and a description. The description will serve as the instructions for the students on the prompt for the discussion and how to participate.
- Choose which options you'd like to implement.
- Allowing anonymous posts means that you will not know who posted any post marked as anonymous. You will not be able to grade these posts.
- Requiring a moderator to approve all posts means that no post will be posted to any thread until you have read and approved it.
- Requiring students to post a thread before they can read and reply to other threads in a topic means that they cannot read others' posts before they compose their own.
- Choose the rating system you want, if any, under "Rate Posts." This will allow students to rate individual posts in the topic.
- Availability determines when the topic will be available to students.
- Visibility determines when students will be able to view the discussion topic. You can leave it visible at all times, hide it, or set a range of dates when it will be visible.
- Locking determines when students can post in a topic. You can leave it unlocked at all times, lock it, or set a range of dates when it will be unlocked.
- If a topic is unlocked but not visible, students will be unable to post in the topic because they cannot see it.
NOTE: A topic cannot have an unlocked date that is later than the unlocked date set for the forum.
To Add the Discussion Topic to Your Content
- Navigate to the module where you want to add your discussion.
- Click the Add Existing Activities button then choose Discussions.
- Choose the forum the topic is associated with.
- Choose the topic you want to add.
- After making your selection, the topic will appear in your module.