The Numeric grade item allows you to grade students by assigning a value out of a specified total of points (e.g. 8/10).
- Click Grades in the navbar, then click the Manage Grades tab.
- On the Manage Grades page, click the New button, then select Item.
- Click Numeric.
For steps 4 through 7, refer to the image below:
- Enter a Name for the grade item.
- You can enter a Short Name to display in the instructor gradebook (this is never seen by the students).
- If you want the grade item associated with a category, select a category from the Category dropdown list or click New Category to create a category.
- Click Show Description to enter a description of the grade item. If you want the description available to users, select Allow users to view grade item description.
For steps 8 through 15, refer to the following image:
- Enter the Maximum Points possible for the grade item. If your gradebook is using the weighted system (not shown here), enter the Weight you want the grade item to contribute towards the category (or final grade if the item does not belong to a category).
- Check Can Exceed if you want students’ grades to be able to exceed the Maximum Points for the item.
- Check Bonus if you want this item to be an extra credit item.
- Select Exclude from Final Grade Calculation to remove a grade item from the final calculated grade total.
- Select a Grade Scheme to associate with the item.
- You can click Add Rubric to attach a rubric, or click the Create Rubric in New Window link to create a new rubric.
- Click Show Display Options if you want to change how the item displays to yourself or to your students.
- Click Save and Close, Save and New, or Save.