To get questions added to your quiz, you can create new questions within a quiz or import from the Question Library. The most effective practice is to create questions in the Question Library. (See Use the Question Library to do this.) If you do not add questions to your quiz and it is released to students, they will receive a quiz that has no questions on it and only offers them the option to Submit the quiz.
If you would like your students to be served a randomized set of questions from a bigger collection (for example, each student gets 10 random questions from a pool of 30), you need to create a question pool. If you want to use questions in a question pool, they must be in the Question Library. See Create a Question Pool.
Randomize Quiz Questions
To randomize the questions on your quiz, you have the option to shuffle the quiz at the quiz level. You can also randomize quizzes within a section. See Randomize Quiz Questions.
Adding Quiz Questions
- Click the Add/Edit Questions button.
- If there are no questions in the quiz, you will see the following screen:
This screen allows you to create questions, sections, or question pools or to import from your Question Library, a .zip file, or from a LOR.
- If you see the following image, it means that you have existing student attempts. You should grade all attempts before editing the quiz. The edits will not become part of the quiz until it is reset or copied to another course.
To Create a New Section
NOTE: Sections OPTIONAL and are useful if you will be importing questions from several distinct chapters or wish to separate different question types.
- Click on the Add button and choose Section.
- Complete the section fields. You can choose to hide the section title and the section text from students on this screen, and you can also choose to shuffle questions in this section. You will see a preview of what the section header will look like on the right side of your screen.
- Click the Save button to Save your section, and you will be returned to the Add/Edit Questions screen for your quiz.
To Create a Question Pool:
- Click on the Add button and choose Question Pool.
- Fill in the title of the Question Pool, enter the number of questions to select on each quiz, and how many points you want each question to be worth.
- Click the Browse Question Library button to add questions to the Question Pool.
- Choose the questions you would like to add to your Question Pool, then click the Add button.
- When you return to the question pool screen, make sure all the options are filled in and then click the Save button. This will return you to the Add/Edit Questions screen.
To Add a New Question to Your Quiz:
NOTE: It may be beneficial to add your questions to a question library first and not directly into a quiz. See Use the Question Library for more information
- Click the Add button and choose New Question.
- Choose the type of question you would like to create (for our example, we will choose Multiple Choice).
- Complete the options for your question type.
- Enter the question text. When you put your cursor into the text box, a toolbar will pop up on the right side of the text box.
- Enter your question answers. If you need more answer possibilities, click the Add Answer link.
- Click the circle next to the correct answer.
- Click the text box next to "Randomize answers for each student" if you would like the answers to the question randomized each time the question is displayed.
- Enter the number of points you want the question to be worth (this can always be changed on the quiz).
- You can see a preview of the question on the right of your screen.
- Click the Save button to save your question and return to the Add/Edit questions screen.
- There are some advanced options that you can select from the Options dropdown above the Question Text box.
- Add Feedback will allow you to add feedback for each answer, and for the question overall.
- Add Hint will allow you to add a hint for the question.
- Add Short Description allows you to a title description to the question.
- Add Custom Weights will allow you give students weighted credit for each answer.
- Add Enumeration will allow you to add your desired enumeration to the answer choices.
Importing Quiz Questions:
- Click Import on the Add/Edit questions screen.
- Choose from the following selections, Upload a File, Browse Question Library or Import from Learning Repository.
Importing a File
- Click Import and choose select Upload a File.
- Click Browse Files or drag and drop the file in the drop zone. This option supports importing ZIP files or specifically formatted CSV files.
- Once the file has been successfully uploaded, you will see a green checkmark.
- Click Import All, or click the Review link to individually select questions to import.
NOTE: For individualized help with importing or creating questions, contact your local LSC-Online representative. See Meet Your LSC-Online Representative for contact information.
Browse the Question Library
- Click the Import button, and then select Browse Question Library.NOTE: When you import questions from the Question Library, your quiz will contain a copy of the questions, not the original questions.
- Select the quiz questions to include in the import and click Import to place the questions at the bottom of the quiz. You can also click the arrow beside Import to select where the questions will be added.
- You can also import questions from other quizzes or surveys in the course. In the Source: Question Library drop-down list, select the source where the existing questions reside.
- In the Source Filter drop-down list, choose the Filter by and check the box next to the type of questions you would like to import (e.g., True or False, Multiple Choice, Matching, Short Answer or Multi-Select).
- In the Sort drop-down list, select the option you want to sort by.
- Select the questions you want to import, then click Add.
Import from Learning Repository
- Select Import from Learning Repository.
- Search the online repository for questions to import.
- Select a quiz under Category.
- Click Select to import from Question Library.
Preview the Quiz from Add/Edit Questions
You can preview the quiz from the Add/Edit Questions page. The quiz preview will open in a new browser tab.
When you are finished adding questions to your quiz, click Back to Setting for (Quiz Name) Quiz.