Add people to a Community Group
Adding users that already exist in the D2L LMS is most easily accomplished by using the Org Defined ID number. Usernames or first and last names may be utilized as well in the search. If you do not locate a user from the Org Defined ID that user may not yet have an account and need to have their account created in D2L. If you are unable to locate a user via the ID number or username please contact OTS.
If you have group manager access to a community group, you can add anyone in the system to your group by following the steps listed below:
- Click on the community group from your D2L homepage.
- Click on Collaboration in the navbar, then choose Classlist.
- Click on the Add Participants button at the top and choose “Add existing users.”
- Enter the Org Defined ID (student or employee ID number) and click the small magnifying glass symbol to start your search.
- In the list of search results, select the role for the user. You can assign any of the roles that are listed. The Copy Only role is most useful for individuals that you intend to have the ability to copy FROM this group into other courses or groups.
- After selecting the user and role click Enroll Selected Users.NOTE: If you see the "Already Enrolled" indicator on a Username then that user is already enrolled in your group. Enrolling the user a second time may return an error. You may need to remove and re-enroll an already enrolled user to update their role.
You can also Enroll Multiple Users in a Community Group.
Roles Available in a Community Group
View D2L Roles Chart for details.
- Advisor - Users will have a limited view of student information but no editing ability in the course. Viewing access includes Class Progress, Classlist, Groups, Manage Files and Quizzes.
- Faculty - Users added as faculty will have the same rights as the original faculty member, including editing content, quizzes, etc.
- Copy Only - Users cannot edit the course or content, but they can copy material from the community group.
- Group Manager - Users have full access to the Community Group and can add other members in any role.
- Observer - Users will have a similar role to students, but will not show up in the gradebook. Observers can view student data, including User Progress. Observers cannot participate in discussions or copy courses, but they can view setup options and preview quizzes and surveys.
- Scribe-Interpreter - Users (scribes, interpreters) will have a similar role to students, but will not be able to take quizzes or search for students.
- Student - Users can interact with content as a student only.
- Teaching Assistant - Users will have access to add and modify course content, the ability to post news announcements to the course, and the ability to participate in discussions. Teaching Assistants will also have faculty-level access to the course calendar.
- Learning Support Personnel (LSP) - Users have student-level access but will be able to view grades, feedback, and student feedback as well as edit Quiz Submission Views. This role is often used in Dual Credit courses; it is meant to facilitate student learning by providing users a view similar to that of students.
View D2L Roles Chart for details.
Enrolling Multiple Users in a Community Group Using a Text File
Group Managers have the ability to enroll multiple users into a Community Group by importing a text file (.txt or .csv) that includes the users’ Org Defined IDs (LSCS ID) and assigned Roles (Group Manager, Faculty, or Student) in the community.
- On the navbar, choose Collaboration > Classlist.
- Click the Add Participants button, then choose Import users from a file on your computer.
- The format of the file you upload should be “Org Defined ID, Role."
- Click the Sample Text File to download an example of the correct format for the Org Defined IDs and assigned Roles.
- Click on Choose File and navigate to your text file (.txt or .csv).
- Click Import.