You can temporarily switch your role by using the personal menu under your name on any homepage in D2L. Role Switch provides a generic view of the course using the role you select.
Switching your role
- Click on your name in the minibar. This will open a dropdown menu.
- Click on View as Student.
- If you don't see Student, click the word Change. Several role options will appear.
- Select Student.
- Your role will be reflected in the minibar by text under your name and a bright orange icon with arrows on it.
End Role Switch
- Click your name in the minibar.
- Click on the X to the right of "Viewing as a Student."
A person with appropriate access can impersonate another user from the Classlist. Unlike Role Switch, Impersonate allows you to “log in” as a specific user. In this case, you will get a 100% accurate view of what a student sees in the course. It would be beneficial to impersonate a test student when confirming your newly designed course functions as intended.
Impersonating a user
- From within a sandbox course, click Collaboration > Classlist from the navbar.
- Select Impersonate from the drop-down menu of "Test, Student."
- Click Yes on the confirmation screen.
- The personal menu on the minibar displays the name "Student Test," with a bright orange icon next to the name.
Stop impersonating a user
- Click on Student Test in the minibar. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click the “X” to stop impersonating the test student.