This process is to add employees (including adjuncts) to courses, not students. You may wish to add others to your course so they can observe, participate in instruction, or copy course content. (To add a student to your course, see Reconcile Your D2L and iStar Rosters.)
Fill in the "Add A User to a Course" Form
- Log into D2L.
- Click VTAC Support on the navbar. You may be prompted to log in with your Lone Star email and password.
- In the Self-Service column under User Access, click on Add a User to a Course.
- Select the appropriate term for your course from the dropdown menu, and check the circle next to the correct course.
- From the dropdown menu, select the level of access to grant to the user. There are seven possible levels. (If you choose a role that allows the user to add or use content, you will see a warning popup. Simply click OK if that is the role you'd like.)
- Observer - Users will have a similar role to students, but will not show up in the gradebook. Observers can view student data, including User Progress. Observers cannot participate in discussions or copy courses, but they can view setup options and preview quizzes and surveys.
- Scribe-Interpreter - Users (scribes, interpreter) will have a similar role to students, but will not be able to take quizzes or search for students.
- Advisor - Users will have a limited view of student information but no editing ability in the course. Viewing access includes Class Progress, Classlist, Groups, Manage Files, and Quizzes.
- Learning Support Personnel (LSP) - Users have student-level access but will be able to view grades, feedback, and student feedback as well as edit Quiz Submission Views. This role is often used in Dual Credit courses; it is meant to facilitate student learning by providing users a view similar to that of students.
- Teaching Assistant - Users will have access to add and modify course content, the ability to post news announcements to the course, and the ability to participate in discussions. Teaching Assistants will also have faculty-level access to the course calendar.
- Faculty - Users added as faculty will have the same rights as the original faculty member, including editing content, quizzes, etc.
- Copy Only - Users cannot edit the course or content, but they can copy material FROM the course into their courses or community groups/sandbox.NOTE: An observer may have already been placed in your course through iStar. Observers show up on the All tab of the Classlist, not the Student tab, but they are listed with a student role.
- Enter the username or ID number of the user you'd like to add, and then click the Lookup button. (To find the username, see the instructions below.)
- After you click Lookup, the user's name and email will appear below the Populate button. If it does not, either the user is not in the D2L user database, or you have entered the username/ID number incorrectly. Check the box next to the user's name.NOTE: You may also click the Populate button to see a list of other instructors teaching the same subject.
- The Submit panel will allow you to review your choices; when you are satisfied, click Submit.
Finding a Username (Microsoft)
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- In the Find area, click the Address Book icon.
- In the name field, enter the Professor’s name (last name first).
- Double-click the blue highlighted name. The username is in the Alias field.
Finding a Username (Mac)
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Search in the Find a Contact box.
- A pop-up window with each result in a tile displays.
- Double-click the tile and the contact card displays. The username is in the Alias field.