There are two ways to randomize quiz questions. Use the directions below based on how you want to randomize your questions:
- If you want to randomize the questions of several chapters, follow the instructions for Randomizing Distinct Groups of Questions Within a Quiz.
- If you want to randomize all the questions throughout the quiz, follow the instructions for Shuffle Option for Randomizing Quiz Questions Throughout the Quiz.
Randomizing Distinct Groups of Questions Within a Quiz
Random sections pull questions from a designated pool of questions. To import questions from the Questions Library, see Use the Question Library.
- Click Course Activities > Quizzes.
- From the Manage Quizzes page, click the quiz to add a random section to or create a new quiz.
- From the Properties tab, click the Add/Edit Questions button.
- Click the New button, and then select Random Section.
- Enter a Section Name, such as "Randomize Ch 1." This name describes the purpose of the folder.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the random section (purple folder) you just created.
- Click the Import button.
- In the Source Section drop-down list, choose the Collection Root (for all questions in the question library) or a specific section/folder that contains the questions you want to use.
- Select the questions you want to import and click the blue Save button.
- Enter the number of Questions per attempt that you want each student to see from the random section.
- Enter the points value for each question in the Points each field.NOTE: All questions within a random section are assigned the same points value.
- Click the Save button under the title of the section.
- Click Done Editing Questions at the top right of the screen.
Shuffle Option for Randomizing Quiz Questions Throughout the Quiz
- From the Manage Quizzes page, either click on the quiz you want to randomize questions in or create a new quiz.
- From the Properties tab, select the Shuffle order of questions at the quiz level checkbox.
- After you have selected the checkbox, click Save. The shuffle icon now displays next to each question.