The News tool enables you to create announcements that help communicate course updates, changes, and new information to your students quickly and effectively. Since My Home or Course Home is the first page that students see when they log into Brightspace, the News widget is a good area for displaying important information.
Access the News tool
- Click News in the header of the News widget.
- If you do not see anything, make sure that the news toggle is displaying.
Create a news item
- Click >New News Item from the News widget menu.
- Enter the news subject in the Headline field.
- Enter the news content in the Content field.
- If you want to hide your headline's date and time, clear Always show start date. By default, a news item's start date and time appear below its headline when displayed in the News widget.
- Select the posting availability date of a news item in the Start Date and End Date drop-down lists or by clicking the Select Date icon. News items publish immediately unless you specify a start date and time.
- You can remove a news item on a specific date by selecting the check box Remove news item based on end date. You and administrators can still see the news item after its end date, but it will no longer be visible to students.
- You can include attachments, audio recordings, and video recording as part of your news item:
- To add an attachment, click Add a File in the Attachments section.
- To record audio, click Record Audio in the Attachments section. Click Flash Settings to make adjustments to your microphone selection and volume. Click Play to listen to your recording. Click Clear to erase your recording.
- To record video, click Record Video in the Attachments section.
- Click Attach Existing or Create and Attach to include additional release conditions.
- Click Save as Draft to continue editing the news item (students cannot see draft news items), or click Publish to release news item to users.
Edit a news item
- On the News page, click on the title of the news item you want to edit.
- Edit your news posting.
- You can select the Major edit - send a notification and restore it for those who dismissed it check box to inform users of major changes and updates to postings they might have dismissed, ensuring those headlines reappear with current information.
- Click Update.
Reorder news items
- Click Reorder News Items from the News widget menu.
- Use the drop-down lists in the Sort Order column to select an item's order. Other items automatically reposition themselves according to the new order.
- Click Save.
Dismiss a news item
Dismissing an item only hides it from your view, not your students view. Dismissing is NOT deleting.
- Click the Dismiss [X] icon for the news item you want to hide (from yourself only) in the News widget.
- To hide from students, change the start or end date.
Restore a dismissed news item
- On the News page, click Restore from the context menu of the news item you want to restore.
- To restore a news item dismissed by students, edit the item and select the Major edit checkbox.
Delete a News item
- Click on News to go to the News page
- Click on the context menu next to the news item and choose Delete.
Restore a Deleted News Item
- Click the More Actions button at the top of the page and choose Restore.
- Check the box next to the item you’d like to restore, then click the Restore button.