This process is to add employees (including adjunct) to courses, not students. To add a student to your class, see Reconcile Your D2L and iStar Rosters.
- Log into D2L.
- Click VTAC Support on the navbar. You will be prompted to login with your Lone Star credentials.
- In the Self-Service column under User Access, click on Add a User to Your Section.
- Select the appropriate term for your current course, and choose whether it is credit or CE.
- Make sure the correct course is highlighted in blue.
- Select the access to grant to the user. There are five levels of access that can be granted.
- Observer - Users will have a similar role to students, but will not show up in the gradebook. Observers can view student data, including User Progress. Observers cannot participate in discussions or copy courses, but they can view setup options and preview quizzes and surveys.
- Scribe-Interpreter - Users (scribes, interpreter) will have a similar role to students, but will not be able to take quizzes or search for students.
- Advisor - Users will have a limited view of student information but no editing ability in the course. Viewing access includes Class Progress, Classlist, Groups, Manage Files and Quizzes.
- Teaching Assistant - Users will have access to add and modify course content, the ability to post news announcements to the course, and the ability to participate in discussions. Teaching Assistants will also have faculty level access to the course calendar.
- Faculty - Users added as faculty will have the same rights as the original faculty member, including editing content, quizzes, etc.
NOTE: An observer may have already been placed in your course through iStar. Observers show up on the All tab of the Classlist, not the Student tab, but they are listed with a student role.
- Enter the username or ID number of the user, and then click the Lookup button. To find the username, see the instructions below.
- After you click Lookup, the user's name will be highlighted in blue below the name fields. If it does not, either the user is not in D2L or you have misspelled the name.
- You may also click the Populate button to see a list of other instructors teaching the same subject.
- When you have the person you want highlighted in blue, click the Submit button in the last column.
NOTE: If you want to change the access level of someone who is already in the course, contact LSC-Online staff through VTAC chat.
Finding a Username (Microsoft)
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- In the Find area, click the Address Book icon.
- In the name field, enter the Professor’s name (last name first).
- Double-click the blue highlighted name. The username is in the Alias field.
Finding a Username (Mac)
- Search in the Find a Contact box.
- A pop-up window with each result in a tile displays.
- Double-click the tile and the contact card displays. The username is in the Alias field.