Locating the LockDown Browser Dashboard
- Go into your course and click Course Activities > Quizzes.
- Click the LockDown Browser tab.
- Select play on the Video Tutorial or click "Continue to LockDown Browser." If you chose to watch the Video Tutorial, click "Continue to LockDown Browser" when finished.
- The page that opens lists all your quizzes in the course.
Preparation before the Test
To Help the Faculty Member
Watch this 2 minute video:
Watch the pre-recorded webinar:
Study the Instructor Quick Start Guide:
To Help the Student
- Add information about LockDown Browser and Monitor to your syllabus. See the example at the bottom of this document. Read the Important Considerations thoroughly and communicate to students so they understand the importance you place on using Monitor.
- Post a link to the Student Quick Start Guide in your class: http://www.respondus.com/downloads/RLDB-Quick-Start-Guide-D2L-Student.pdf
- Post a link to the Student Movie: http://www.respondus.com/products/lockdown-browser/student-movie.shtml
- Set up a practice exam to help your first exam using Respondus Monitor run more smoothly.
- Having students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor before taking a graded exam will help them feel at ease with the new technology. Leave the quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can check their setup from a different computer if needed.
To install flash for LDB:
- Go to the following link: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
- Select your operating system from the drop down list.
- Select the option that ends in “Firefox – NPAPI.”
- Click Download now.
Monitor is NOT a true proctoring solution because the videos it captures are affected by the quality of the internet connection, bandwidth and resources available on the student’s computer. Rather it is a deterrent to cheating because the students know that they may be caught on video.
You should include in your syllabus the specific consequences of any missing video or pieces of video created by Monitor, and give the students the option of using a testing center instead.
The following is an EXAMPLE FOR YOUR SYLLABUS.
You must edit the following before using.
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online Exams
This course requires either the use of LockDown Browser with a webcam OR testing in a proctored environment. For the use of LockDown Browser, the webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. A video will be taken of you while you are taking the test. (We recommend the webcam you use be at least 720p resolution; if it is less than 720p, the video may be unacceptably grainy.
Academic Integrity: If the videos show actions that could be interpreted as cheating on the exam, then disciplinary action may be taken. If the video is incomplete or proper decorum is not observed, there may be consequences, such as a being required to retake the quiz, a lower grade, or a 0 grade. If you are concerned about these possibilities, you may take your test at an approved testing center (such as those at any LSC campus) to avoid ambiguity.
Finally, when taking an online exam using LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted.
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc.
- Clear your desk of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices.
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test.
- Make sure your webcam is plugged in or enabled before starting LockDown Browser.
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
- You will be recorded during the test to ensure you're using only permitted resources.