You can temporarily switch your role by using the Role Switch widget on any course homepage in Brightspace. Role Switch provides a generic view of the course using the role you select.
Switching your role
- Click the course title on the minibar. This will take you back to the course home page.
- Locate the Role Switch widget on the course home page.
- Click the drop-down menu under Current Role to display a list of available roles.
- Click on the role you would like to use and then click the Change Role button.
NOTE: The “Student” role is likely the only role you will need to use.
- The Role Switch widget will reflect the role you selected.
End a role switch
From the Role Switch widget on the course home page, select -- My Role (Faculty) -- and then click the Change Role button.
A user with appropriate access can impersonate another user from the Classlist. Unlike Role Switch, Impersonate allows you to “log in” as a specific user. For example, it would be beneficial to impersonate a test student when confirming your newly designed course functions as intended.
Impersonating a user
- From within a sandbox course, click Communication > Classlist from the navbar.
- Select Impersonate from the drop-down menu of the Test Student.
- Click Yes on the confirmation screen.
- The personal menu on the minibar displays the name of the person being impersonated in red.
Stop impersonating a user
- Click the drop-down on the personal menu from the minibar and then click the “X” to stop impersonating the user.