Create group work areas for students with the Manage Groups tool. You can use groups to organize students’ work on projects and assignments.
Students can belong to multiple groups within the same course. For example, each student can simultaneously belong to a group for class projects, a group for special interest discussions, and a group for advanced students. Each group can have its own discussion forums, dropbox folders, and locker area to work in. You can grade members of groups individually or as a team.
Creating a Group Category
Use categories to organize and manage related groups. For example, you can have a category for Assignment 1, Assignment 2, Seminars, Remedial Help, and Book Reviews. You must set up a category before you can set up groups.
- Click Communication on the navbar, then choose Groups.
- On the Manage Groups page, click New Category.
- Enter a Category Name and Description.
- Select an Enrollment Type from the drop-down list.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, enter the Number of Groups to create, or the Number of Users per group.
- Choose Groups Options:
- Select Auto-Enroll New Users if you want to automatically enroll students to groups.
- Select Randomize users in Groups if you want to randomly place students in groups. If this option is not chosen, students are placed alphabetically based on the classlist.
- Choose Workspace Options:
- Select Set Up Discussion Areas if you want to associate discussion areas with the groups in the category.
- Select Set Up Dropbox if you want to associate assignments with the groups in the category.
- Click Save.
- If you enabled Discussion Areas, you will need to create a forum for these areas, or add them to an existing forum.
- If you enabled Dropbox Folders, you will need to name the dropbox (e.g., Group Projects), and make selections such as Originality Report, Grade Item, and Instructions, just as you would with whole group dropboxes. Click Create.
- Click Done.
Creating a group
- On the Manage Groups page, click Add Group from the context menu of the category you want to create a group in.
- Enter a Group Name if you do not want to use the default name provided.
- Enter a Group Code if you do not want to use the default group code provided.
- Enter a Description for the group.
- Click Save.