Create an Assignment Folder
Students submit their work to an assignment folder. Instructions you provide in the assignment folder about evaluation methodology, details about rubric assessments, associations with learning objectives, and clarifications on work expectations appear to students in the "Folder Information" area on the Submit Files page.
- Click the Course Activities menu in the navbar, then choose Assignments.
- On the Assignment Submission Folders page, click New Folder.
- Enter a Name.
- Select a Folder Type:
- Individual submission folder Select this option if you want each user to have their own submission.
- Group submission folder Select this option if you want one submission per group. (You must associate a group folder with a Group Category.)
- Select from the Category drop-down list if you want to assign a category. You can click the New Category link to create a new category. (Categories here are simply for organizational purposes. They have no relation to grade categories.)NOTE: Group submission areas are marked on the Assignment Folders page with the Group Submissions icon. Any group member can submit and view files for a group assignment folder.
- Associate the assignment folder with a Grade Item if you want submissions tied to an item in your grade book. If you have no grade item, click the New Grade Item link to create a new grade item for the assignment folder.
- Enter a value in the Out Of field for the assignment score.NOTE: If you associate the folder with a grade item, maintain consistency and avoid confusion for your students by matching the value of the Out Of field to the grade item's Max. Points value.
- Once you associate the assignment folder with a grade item, you can click Edit Display Settings from the Student View Preview context menu to edit how grades display to students.
- Click Add Rubric to associate the assignment folder with a rubric. Click the Create Rubric in New Window link if you want to create a new rubric. You can also select an existing rubric and set it as the Default Scoring Rubric.
- Add Instructions for students.
- To include attachments such as a file, link, or existing activity, see Adding an Attachment to an Assignment.
- Under Submission Options, select the submission options you want:
- Click Save.
Add the Assignment to Your Content
- Go to a module on Content.
- Click the Add Existing Activities button.
- Choose Assignments.
- Choose the specific assignment that you want to add.
- The link to the assignment will be added to the module. Change the status of the link to Published to make it available to students.
- For instructions on the Restrictions tab, see Setting Availability and Due Dates for an Assignment.
- For instructions on the Turnitin tab, see Using Turnitin with Assignments.