D2L has introduced a new Question Creation Experience. Until December, you have the option to turn off the new Question Creation Experience. At that point, you will be required to participate in the new Question Creation Experience.
Creating a Quiz
- From the navbar, click Course Activities, and then select Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click the New Quiz button.
- Enter a Name.
- Optional: Select a Category from the drop-down list if you want to add your quiz to an existing category. (Categories are not required. They have no relation to gradebook categories.) If you haven't set up categories for your quizzes, and you want to, click add category to create and name a new category.
- Click on the Add/Edit Questions button to add quiz questions.
- To create a new section on the quiz, click New and choose Section.
- Complete the section fields. You can choose to hide the section title and the section text on this screen, and you can also choose to shuffle questions in this section. You will see a preview of what the section header will look like on the right side of your screen.
Click Back to [Quiz Name] at the top of the screen to return to the Add/Edit questions screen.
- To set up a section that will pull questions randomly from a Question Pool, click New and choose Question Pool.
- Fill in the title of the Question Pool, set the number of questions you want to show up on each quiz, and enter how many points you want each question to be worth.
- Click the Browse Question Library button to add questions to the Question Pool.
- Choose the questions you would like to add to your Question Pool, then click the Add button.
- When you return to the question pool screen, make sure all the options are filled in and then click the Save button. This will return you to the Add/Edit Questions screen.
- To add a new question to your quiz, click the New button and select the type of question you'd like to create. (The New Question Creation Experience is available for True/False, Multiple Choice, Written Response, and Short Answer question types. All other question types remain the same as they have been in the past.)
- Complete the options for your question type.
- Enter the question text. When you put your cursor into the text box, a toolbar will pop up on the right side of the text box.
- Enter your question answers. If you need more answer possibilities, click the Add Answer link.
- Click the circle next to the correct answer.
- Click the text box next to "Randomize answers for each student" if you would like the answers to the question randomized each time the question is displayed.
- Enter the number of points you want the question to be worth (this can always be changed on the quiz).
- You can see a preview of the question on the right of your screen.
- Click the Save button to save your question and return to the Add/Edit questions screen.
- There are some advanced options that you can select from the Options dropdown above the Question Text box.
- Add Feedback will allow you to add feedback for each answer, and for the question overall.
- Add Hint will allow you to add a hint for the question.
- Add Short Description allows you to a title description to the question.
- Add Custom Weights will allow you give students weighted credit for each answer.
- Add Enumeration will allow you to add your desired enumeration to the answer choices.
- To import questions from the Question Library, a file, a LOR, or another quiz, click Import on the Add/Edit questions screen.
- Choose from the following selections, Upload a File, Browse Question Library or Import from Learning Repository.
Importing a File
- Select Upload a File.
- Click Browse Files or drag and drop the file in the drop zone. This option supports importing ZIP files or CSV files.
- Once the file has been successfully uploaded, you will see a green checkmark.
- Click Import All or click the Review link, to individually select questions to import.NOTE: For individualized help with importing or creating questions, contact your local LSC-Online representative. See Meet Your LSC-Online Representative for contact information.
Browse Question Library
- To import from the Question Library, an existing quiz, or an existing survey, select Browse Question Library.
- In the Source: Question Library drop-down list, select the source where existing questions reside. (This will be a section in the question library, or an existing quiz or survey.)
- In the Source Filter drop-down list, choose the Filter by and check the box next to the type of questions you would like to import (e.g., True or False, Multiple Choice, Matching, Short Answer or Multi-Select).
- In the Sort drop-down list, select the option you want to sort by.
- Select the questions you want to import, then click Add.
Import from Learning Repository
- Select Import from Learning Repository.
- Search the online repository for questions to import.
- Select a quiz under Category.
- Click Select to import from Question Library.
When you are finished adding questions to your quiz, click the Done Editing Questions button in the top right of the screen.
Randomizing All Questions
You will have the option to randomize your questions and sections with one checkbox after you add questions to the quiz.
Check the box entitled: “Shuffle order of questions at the quiz level.”
This option also shuffles the order of sections existing at the quiz level but does not shuffle the questions within the sections.
Dates and Restrictions
- You must change your quiz status to Active to allow students to see and take a quiz (the default is inactive). Remember to click Save before you change tabs.
- You can specify a date or date range that your quiz is available to students and select a Due Date. If you want the quiz dates to show up on the calendar, click the Display In Calendar check box.
Time Limit: Enter a time limit for your quiz (the default is 120 minutes).
- You must select "Enforced Time Limit" to enforce the time limit.
- Grace Period: Enter the number of minutes past the time limit that quizzes can be submitted before a late flag is applied.
- The minimum grace period is one minute.
- The default grace period is five minutes.
- Automatic Grade
Allows the quiz to be graded automatically; students can see quiz grade immediately after completion and submission.
- Grade Item
Choose a grade item in the gradebook for the quiz or create a new one.
When the quiz is associated with a grade item, you have the option to auto export quiz results to the Grades tool. (If you do not choose this option, you will have to publish the quiz grades to the gradebook manually.)
- Attempts Allowed
You can allow students one or more quiz attempts (up to 10, or an unlimited number) and calculate a grade based on their highest attempt, lowest attempt, first attempt, last attempt, or the average of all attempts.
To Add the Quiz to Your Content
- Click on the module to which you want to add your quiz.
- Click the Add Existing Activities button.
- Choose Quizzes.
- Choose the specific quiz you want to add.