A multiple choice item consists of a problem, known as the stem, and a list of suggested solutions, known as alternatives. The alternatives consist of one correct or best alternative, which is the answer, and incorrect or inferior alternatives, known as distractors.
Access the Question Library
- Click Course Activities on the navbar and choose Quizzes.
- Click on the Question Library tab.
Create a Section (Folder) to Contain the Questions
(Skip this step if you already have a section for the question.)
- Create a Section by clicking on the New button.
- Choose Section.
- Give the section a name and click Save.
Add a Multiple Choice Question
- Click the New button.
- Select Multiple Choice Question (MC).
- Complete the following fields:
- Title: (optional) It can be useful to enter meaningful information in the title field; however, when you browse the question library, you will see this text instead of the question text.
- Points: The default is 1; this can be changed when you add the question to a quiz.
- Difficulty: (optional) This is for your use only; it is not considered by the system at all (you can not, for instance, sort by difficulty).
- Question Text: (required) This is the text of your question.
- Image: (optional) Click Insert an Image to navigate to the image if you have one for the question.
- Description: (optional) You should enter a description if you use an image to increase accessibility.
- Enumeration: Choose a number or letter to denote answer options.
- Style: Choose Vertical, Horizontal, or Drop-down; this affects the way the answers are presented to the student.
- Randomize: Check this box if you want the answers to be randomized for each student.
NOTE: If you have an "All of the above" answer, do not use this option.
- Value, Weight (%) and Feedback:
Enter Answer options and detractors in each Value text area. Set the Weight (%) for the correct answer to 100. The default number of options is 4. If you need additional options, enter the number of additional answer options you need and click Add Option.NOTE: You can also set some answers to 25, 50 or any other part of 100.
- Feedback for each answer is optional.
- Question hint is optional.
- Question feedback is optional.
- Click Save, Save and New, or Save and Close to save your work, or click Preview to preview the question.