The Question Library
The Question Library is a place to store and archive questions that you can share and reuse for quizzes and surveys within a course. You can create multiple sections within the Question Library to organize your questions by type and topic, making it easier for you to find questions. (We recommend that you label your sections appropriately to avoid confusion.) You can consolidate questions created within the Quiz and Survey tools by importing them back into the Question Library. Question Libraries can be copied from one course to another to facilitate sharing questions between courses.
Access the Question Library
- Click Assessments on the navbar and choose Quizzes or Surveys.
- Click on the Question Library tab.
You can create the following question types in the Question Library:
|True or False (T/F)||Fill in the Blanks (FIB)|
|Multiple Choice (MC)||Matching (MAT)|
|Multi-Select (M-S)||Ordering (ORD)|
|Written Response (WR)||Arithmetic (2+2)|
|Short Answer (SA)||Significant Figures (x10)|
|Multi-Short Answer (MSA)||Likert (LIK)|
You can create the following information items in the Question Library:
|Text Information (TXT)||Image Information (IMG)|
NOTES ABOUT SURVEYS:
- You cannot import Likert questions to quizzes because they are unique to surveys only.
- Solutions to questions are automatically omitted when questions are imported to surveys.
- Points value and difficulty level indicators are automatically omitted when questions are imported to surveys.
Creating sections in the Question Library
Create sections to organize your questions into folders. You can import sections from the Question Library directly into a quiz or survey. Importing sections from the Question Library will transfer section folders and all of their associated properties (section name, messages, images, or feedback).
NOTE: Sections are not the same as Random Sections. Random sections must be created from within a quiz.
- In the Question Library, click New and select Section.
- Enter the name of the section in the Section Name field.
- Enter a Message (optional). You can choose to display this message to students at the beginning of the section or repeated before each question in the section (refer to Step 6).
- Enter Private Comments (optional). These comments are for your personal use and view only; they cannot be seen by students.
- You can add an image to the section by clicking Add a File and selecting the image you want to use. You can choose to display this image at the beginning of the section or repeated before each question in the section (refer to Step 6).
- Set your Display Options:
- Show section name - Displays the section name in quizzes and surveys that contain this section.
- Insert a line break after section name - Inserts extra space below the section name.
- Display message and image
- Display section message and image once - displays these items once at the beginning of the section.
- Repeat section message and image before each question - Repeats both the message and image before each question in the section.
- You can add Section Feedback.
- Click Save.
Creating a question in the Question Library
In the Question Library, click New and select the type of question you want to create.
Most types of questions contain several common elements. These elements include:
- Title –short descriptive title that makes the question easy to find in the library. This field can be used as an organizational tool for managing your question library.
- Points – determines the default number of points the question is worth. This value can be changed for any individual quiz.
- Difficulty – an information only field. It isn’t used in any way by the system.
- Question Text – the actual text of the question.
- Image - click the Insert an Image button, and enter a description of the image.
- Enumeration Style – how you want your answer choices delimited.
- Display Style – how you want your answer choices formatted.
- Answer Feedback – feedback that students will see if they choose that particular answer.
- Question Hint –useful for suggesting how to approach a question. If you want students to see hints to questions, you must select the check box Allow Hints in the Properties tab when you create or edit quizzes.
- Question Feedback – feedback that everyone sees, regardless of how they answered the question
Managing questions in the Question Library
NOTE: The Question In Use page displays when you save changes to a question that is being used in more than one place (i.e., on a quiz or survey as well as in the Question Library). You can select the check box next to each quiz and survey( as well as the Question Library) in which you want to apply your current changes and click Save. Generally, you will want to update all instances of a question.
Edit a question or section in the Question Library
- On the Question Library page, click Edit from the context menu of the question or section you want to edit.
- Make your changes and click Save.
Bulk Edit Question Values
- Select the check box beside the questions you want to modify and click Edit Values to change point values, difficulty levels, and mandatory responses.
- Enter your Points value and select a difficulty level from the Difficulty drop-down list.
- Select the Mandatory check box to force a response. If you include mandatory questions in quizzes and surveys, students can only submit assessments after they attempt the mandatory questions.
- If a quiz or survey is set to automatically submit after a time limit, it forces the student to submit even if the mandatory questions are not complete.
- You cannot use mandatory questions in conjunction with the Prevent Moving Backwards setting.
- Click Save.
Preview a question in the Question Library
The preview page allows you to view the appearance of an individual question, as well as the comments and hints you might include with the question. If the question appears in more than one place, the preview page also displays a list of places the question is in use (e.g. quizzes and surveys).
- On the Question Library page, click Preview from the context menu of the question you want to preview.
- When you are finished previewing the questions, click Done.
Reorder questions or sections in the Question Library
Change the order of questions displayed in the Question Library by reordering
them in the question list.
- On the Question Library page, click Order.
- Select the check box beside the question and/or section you want to reorder, then click the Up or Down arrows to them through the list.
- Click Save.
Delete a question or section from the Question Library
- On the Question Library page, select the check box beside the question or section you want to delete.
- Click Delete.
Importing questions into the Question Library
Import questions into the Question Library to consolidate questions created with Quiz and Survey tools. You can also import questions from Respondus, a publisher test bank package, or a learning object repository.
Import questions into the Question Library from an existing collection
- In the Question Library, click Import.
- In the Import Source drop-down list, select From an Existing Collection.
- In the Source Collection drop-down list, select the source where existing questions reside. (This will be an existing quiz or survey.)
- In the Source Section drop-down list, choose the Collection Root or a specific section from which existing questions reside.
- Select the questions you want to import, then click Save.