Create a Quiz
- Click Assessments on the navbar then choose Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click New Quiz.
- Enter a Name.
- Optional: Select a Category from the drop-down list if you want to add your quiz to an existing category. (Categories are not required. They have no relation to gradebook categories.) If you haven't set up categories for your quiz, and you want to, click add category to create and name a new category.
Before Adding Any Questions
There are two ways to randomize questions. You will have the option to randomize your questions and sections with one checkbox after you add questions to the quiz. However, If you wish to randomize within more than one group of questions, such as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc., read Randomizing Quiz Questions before you import any questions.
- Click on the Add/Edit Questions button to add quiz questions.
- Click New to create a new question.
- If you want to import questions from the Question Library or another quiz, click Import.
- On the Import page, select From an Existing Collection from the Import Source drop-down list.
- In the Source Collection drop-down list, select the source where the existing questions reside (e.g., the Question Library).
- In the Source Section drop-down list, choose the Collection Root or a specific section from which existing questions reside.
- Select the check boxes beside the questions you want to import, then click Save at the bottom left of the screen.
- When you have added all the questions to the quiz, click the Done Editing Questions button at the top right of the screen.
Randomizing All Questions
You will have the option to randomize your questions and sections with one checkbox after you add questions to the quiz.
- Check the box entitled: “Shuffle order of questions at the quiz level”
This option also shuffles the order of sections existing at the quiz level.
Dates and Restrictions
You must change your quiz status to Active to allow students to see and take a quiz (the default is inactive). Once you change a quiz’s status to active, you should click Save before you change tabs.
You can specify a date or date range that your quiz becomes available to students. If you want the quiz dates to show up on the calendar, click the Display In Calendar check box.
- Time Limit: Enter a time limit for your quiz (the default is 120 minutes).
- You must select Enforce a time limit to enforce the time limit.
- Grace Period: Enter the number of minutes past the time limit that quizzes can be submitted before a late flag or penalty is applied.
- The minimum grace period is one minute.
- The default grace period is five minutes.
- Late Submissions: Select a late behavior.
- Quiz is flagged as late, but student can continue working
- Quiz is flagged as late, and student is prevented from making further changes
- Quiz is flagged as late, but student can continue working. The quiz will be automatically scored as zero after the time limit.
Allows the quiz to be graded automatically; students can see quiz grade immediately after completion and submission.
Choose a grade item in the gradebook for the quiz or create a new one.
When the quiz is associated with a grade item, you have the option to auto export quiz results to the Grades tool. (If you do not choose this option, you will have to manually publish the quiz grades to the gradebook.)
Add a rubric to a quiz if you want to evaluate students with a predefined set of criteria.
You can allow students one or more quiz attempts (up to 10, or an unlimited number) and calculate a grade based on their highest attempt, lowest attempt, first attempt, last attempt, or average of all attempts.
To Add the Quiz to Your Content
- Click the Add Existing Activities button.
- Choose Quizzes.
- Choose the specific quiz you want to add.