Create a Quiz
- Click Course Activities on the navbar, then choose Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click the New Quiz button.
- Enter a Name.
- Optional: Select a Category from the drop-down list if you want to add your quiz to an existing category. (Categories are not required. They have no relation to gradebook categories.) If you haven't set up categories for your quizzes, and you want to, click add
category to create and name a new category.
Before Adding Any Questions to the Quiz
There are two ways to randomize questions. You will have the option to randomize your questions and sections with one checkbox after you add questions to the quiz. However, If you wish to randomize and deliver a subset of questions, such as 10 questions from Chapter 1, 10 from Chapter 2, etc., read Randomize Quiz Questions before you import any questions.
- Click on the Add/Edit Questions button to add quiz questions.
- To import questions from the Question Library or another quiz, click Import.
- Choose from the following selections, Upload a File, Browse Question Library or Import from Learning Repository.
Upload a File
- Select Upload a File.
- Click Browse Files or drag and drop the file in the drop zone. This option supports importing ZIP files or CSV files.
- Once the file has been successfully uploaded, you will see a green checkmark.
- Click Import All or click the Review link, to individually select questions to import.
Browse Question Library
- To import from the Question Library select Browse Question Library.
- In the Source: Question
Library drop-down list, select the source where existing questions reside. (This will be a section in the question library, or an existing quiz or survey.)
- In the Source Filter drop-down list, choose the Filter by and check the box next to the type of questions you would like to import (e.g., True or False, Multiple Choice, Matching, Short Answer or Multi-Select).
- In the Sort drop-down list, select the option you want to sort by.
- Select the questions you want to import, then click Add.
Import from Learning Repository
- Select Import from Learning Repository.
- Search the online repository for questions to import.
- Select a quiz under Category.
- Click Select to import to Question Library.
Randomizing All Questions
You will have the option to randomize your questions and sections with one checkbox after you add questions to the quiz.
- Check the box entitled: “Shuffle order of questions at the quiz level.”
This option also shuffles the order of sections existing at the quiz level but does not shuffle the questions within the sections.
Dates and Restrictions
You must change your quiz status to Active to allow students to see and take a quiz (the default is inactive). Remember to click Save before you change tabs.
You can specify a date or date range that your quiz is available to students and select a Due Date. If you want the quiz dates to show up on the calendar, click the Display In Calendar check box.
- Time Limit: Enter a time limit for your quiz (the default is 120 minutes).
- You must select "Enforced Time Limit" to enforce the time limit.
- Grace Period: Enter the number of minutes past the time limit that quizzes can be submitted before a late flag is applied.
- The minimum grace period is one minute.
- The default grace period is five minutes.
Allows the quiz to be graded automatically; students can see quiz grade immediately after completion and submission.
Choose a grade item in the gradebook for the quiz or create a new one.
When the quiz is associated with a grade item, you have the option to auto export quiz results to the Grades tool. (If you do not choose this option, you will have to publish the quiz grades to the gradebook manually.)
You can allow students one or more quiz attempts (up to 10, or an unlimited number) and calculate a grade based on their highest attempt, lowest attempt, first attempt, last attempt, or the average of all attempts.
To Add the Quiz to Your Content
- Click on the module to which you want to add your quiz.
- Click the Add Existing Activities button.
- Choose Quizzes.
- Choose the specific quiz you want to add.