The Import/Export/Copy Components tool provides several channels through which content can be brought in, or exported out of, a course offering (Org Unit). This tool is most commonly used for copying some or all content from a previous semester’s course offering and importing publisher content packages. This document will describe the process of copying components from one course to another.
Copy Components from another Course Offering (Org Unit)
This function allows for content in other course offerings to be copied either by selecting individual items to copy or the entire contents of the course.
- Enter the course offering which will be receiving the content, click Edit Course in the navbar, then click Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Click the radio button named Copy Components from Another Org Unit, then click Search for offering.
- Use the Search For field to find the course offering with the desired content. Click the radio button next to this course offering, then click Add Selected.
- To copy all content items from the source offering, click Copy All Components. To copy only specific components from the source offering, click Select Components and continue to step 5.
NOTE: Tracking data, student records, personal data and grades are not included when copying.
- Select Components allows you to select individual items from the source offering so that only the desired content items are copied. For example, you could choose the "Copy all items" option for discussions and dropboxes while ignoring exams and content links, or you could choose "Select individual items to copy" to choose specific quizzes you want to copy. In the example below, all Discussions will be copied, but only specific Content items will be copied. Click Continue after making your selections.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must select the actual components not just the links to them on Content. The “Content” component contains only the virtual links or topics found on the Content page of a course. In most cases, these are not actual items. For example, your course offering may have a quiz titled “Final Exam” and a link to it on the Content tab labeled the same. Copying the “Final Exam” in the Content category from that course will only copy the link titled “Final Exam,” not the actual quiz. Later, when you or a student clicks on the “Final Exam” link in the Content area, the system will display an error message since the quiz itself was not copied. To prevent that issue from occurring, you must also copy the quiz, which is listed in the Quizzes component. The same holds true for Course Files, Discussions and Dropboxes.
- If you chose the Select individual items to copy option, the system will prompt you to choose which individual items should be copied. Check each check box as needed, then click Continue.
- Click Finish to confirm and begin the copy process.
- If all items copied successfully, a green check mark will appear indicating the copy was successfully completed. Click View Content to return to the Content page.