Create an Assignment
Students submit their work to an assignment folder. Instructions you provide in the assignment folder appear to students in the "Folder Information" area on the Submit Files page.
Instructions may include:
- Information about evaluation methodology
- Details about rubric assessments
- Associations with learning objectives
- Clarifications on work expectations
- Click the Course Activities menu in the navbar, then choose Assignments.
- On the Assignment Folders page, click the New Folder button.
- Enter a Name.
- Add Instructions for students.
- To include attachments such as a file, link, or existing activity, see Adding an Attachment to an Assignment.
- Select a Folder Type:
- Individual submission folder Select this option if each student has their own submission.
- Group submission folder If you have created groups of students in the course, you may select this option to organize submissions by groups. (You must associate a group folder with a Group Category.)
Under Submission Options, select Submission Type and Submission options:
- File submission: Select this type if you want students to submit a file to the assignment folder.
- On paper submission: Select this type for papers that will be submitted in person. (You must indicate whether it will be manually marked complete by learners, upon evaluation, or by due date.)
- Observed in Person: Select this type if you are observing an assignment in person. (You must indicate whether it will be manually marked complete by learners, upon evaluation, or by due date.)
- Choose how many files you will allow per submission, and whether those files are kept or discarded.
- You may also enter an email address to be notified whenever a new submission is uploaded to this folder.
- If you want submissions tied to a column in your grade book, associate the assignment folder with a Grade Item by using the drop down menu in the Grade Item field. If you have no grade item here, click the New Grade Item link to create a new grade item for the assignment folder.
- Enter a maximum point value in the Out Of field for the assignment score.
- Select from the Category drop-down list if you want to assign a category. You can click the New Category link to create a new category. (Categories here are simply for organizational purposes. They have no relation to grade categories. Once you create a category here you cannot remove it from the list. This category list is not editable.)NOTE: If you associate the folder with a grade item, maintain consistency and avoid confusion for your students by matching the value of the Out Of field to the grade item's Max. Points value.
- Once you associate the assignment folder with a grade item, from the Student View Preview context menu, click Edit Display Settings to edit how grades display to students.
- Click Add Rubric to associate the assignment folder with a rubric. Click the Create Rubric in New Window link to create a new rubric. You can also select an existing rubric and set it as the Default Scoring Rubric.
- Click Save and Close.
Add the Assignment to Your Content
- Go to a module on Content.
- Click the Add Existing Activities button.
- Choose Assignments.
- Choose the specific assignment to add.
- The link to the assignment will be added to the module. Change the status of the link to Published to make it available to students.
- For instructions on the Restrictions tab, see Setting Availability and Due Dates for an Assignment.
- For instructions on the Objectives tab, see below.
- For instructions on the Turnitin tab, see Using Turnitin with Assignments.
Add Objectives to Your Content
- Select the Objectives tab.
- Click the Associate Learning Objectives button to add a parent association.
- Browse to the objective to add or search for the objective.
- Click the Add Selected button.
- Click the Save and Close button.